CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 27, 2008

And the winner is....

So while thinking of stereotypes I began to think of one that was the most alive and well stereotype in the World today:

LGBT!

It is insane how often people use a reference to the LGBT community. How many times a day do you here and maybe even say "That is so gay"? I bet often! I feel the #1 reason for this is the media and the way that LGBTs are portrayed! For instance the movie Mean Girls pokes fun at Lesbians. The most recent and and even more disturbing reference to the gay stereotype is Katy Perry's song "Your so Gay". It in the title.....so yes do judge this book by its cover and realize how HORRIBLE the song is just by reading the title. Don't think it is a big deal? Youtube the video and just see how far she really takes it! UNBELIEVABLE that people are aloud to produce such music.

Now don't get me wrong! The media is finally coming around and creating characters that are gay or lesbian! Shows such as "Brothers and Sisters" are helping to get rid of this stereotype. Hopefully some day there will be progress to get rid of the stereotype and the world will realize that we are all people no matter what!

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Hey Teresa,
I just watched the video and read the lyrics and am completely disgusted. I could not agree with you more, how they were allowed to produce this song is beyond me. Talk about a complete lack of consideration of other people's feelings or emotions. The lyrics make it blatantly obvious that they are using the term 'gay' as a negative insult to a man. I can't believe that Katy Perry and everyone who worked on this song have such a small vocabulary that they couldn't come up with a better way to insult someone than to call them 'gay.'

Colleen G said...

Hey Teresa,

I read the lyrics that Jessica posted and I am completely appalled. I feel as if this is taking being "gay" to a whole new level. Saying that they should hang themselves and the labeling them with brands. I felt completely offended as well because I am a vegetarian. So I feel it affects not only people who are gay or perceived as gay, but also many other people. It is even more scary because I know kids like to listen to her songs. The kids I babysat in the summer loved "I kissed a girl" and it scares me that they will be listening to this song.

Erika said...

Hey,
I just recently heard that song and was equally as appalled. I can't believe it either. There are so many hurtful things out there and people just think its ok that just because society has wrongfully coined a phrase such as "you're so gay!" it should be re-enforced in the media in as disgusting a way as Katie Perry chose to do it. Things like that are uncalled for and also the reason we are getting no where in the fight to be united.