CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Arab Literature

The things you learn from just a few short articles! I did not grow up in a very multicultural atmosphere so i have not really questioned the stereotypes about Arabic people. I believe my down fall is not that I believe the stereotypes but that I am undereducated about the culture. What better way to be immersed in the culture then in a class that is meant to make me aware and learn to challenge the stereotypes of the cultures.

With that said, a few things that I did not know but am glad i know now

1. Many people use the words Arabic and Muslim interchangeably. Actually only 20% of Muslims are Arabic.
2. Arabs are divided into 3 distinct regions; North Africa, Mediterranean, and the Saudi Peninsula

I love that the articles pointed out that Arabs are just like you and me. They have different believes, education levels, stereotypes against them, and come from all different places. Finally I am glad that Al-Hazza and Lucking give a list of books as a start for multicultural education. It is only a start but everything has to start somewhere!

1 comments:

Mandy Jacobs said...

I'm dancing right along with you! There are SO many things that, growing up, we just take for granted. Stereotypes are definitely sneaky and infiltrating---even in "innocent" children's movies. Disney's "Aladdin" is worth watching (for the first time or for the 100th) after we finish this topic in class. Listen for the voices. Who gets an American accent? Who has a heavy Middle Eastern accent? It probably won't surprise you to find that the villains are portrayed much more gruffly "Arabic" than the protagonists, like it's supposed to be something evil!